Tuesday, November 24, 2015

How to install the unsigned driver on 64bit Windows 8/10 (OLD DRIVER VERSION)

Note: The instructions listed in this post are for the old version of the mouse acceleration driver that required running Windows in test mode. The newer version of the driver here.  The old site that was previously referenced in these instructions has been taken over by malware, and this version of the driver is unavailable.  Please go here instead!


This method keeps Windows in Test Mode for the driver to work.  (I have been running my copy of Windows 10 in Test Mode since the day I installed it.)  If you are on an older version of Windows, you should be able to use the DSEO method to turn test mode off after you have signed the driver yourself (see the official installation instructions for details).

  1. Download the latest version of the driver from povohat's site.
  2. Open a command prompt with administrator privileges, and type:
    Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    (if the operation failed, you may need to go to your BIOS settings 
    and turn secure boot off, then do step 2 again.  Note that if you 
    are dual booting linux, GRUB has overwritten the MBR that BCDEdit 
    tries to access, and I don't know how to get around that.)
  3. Reboot.
  4. Verify that the corner of your desktop shows "Test Mode"
  5. Open device manager
  6. Under "mice and other pointing devices", right click your mouse device (eg: "HID-compliant mouse")
  7. Select update driver software
  8. Browse my computer for driver software
  9. Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  10. Have disk
  11. Locate moufiltr.inf
  12. Select HID Mouse (moufiltr) and press next
  13. Continue past any warnings about unsigned drivers and/or compatibility
  14. The OS may prompt you to reboot, and you should do so if required
At this point, you should be able to run the GUI (currently not included in the driver zip - DL here), change the post-scale values to 0.5, click save changes, and feel that your mouse sensitivity has been cut in half.   Congratulations, it's now installed on 64bit Windows 8/10!

If you got a Code 10 or Code 45 error message upon installing the driver, that means b8 mysteriously dislikes your computer.  If you unplug your mouse and connect it to a different USB port, you should be back on the normal Windows mouse driver.  Download b7 here and start again from device manager as above with the b7 file instead (note that download zip includes a version of the GUI that works with b7, but not b8).  If you're still having problems, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Many thanks for upload! I had to just install driver instead of microsoft one, that's all. I'm not sure if updating windows 8.1 actually fixed my problem with freezing mouse or it was your driver, but i'm thankfull anyway - keep a good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Btw. it works with 32bit OS, at least for me.

      Delete
  2. Kovaak I've recently found your video and I was wondering if you have a video on how to get the basic installation on Windows 10? I have read the instructions but before I want to download it I would like to see if you can show us how to install it fully.
    If you get to it thanks a ton!

    ReplyDelete